Lucille, according to Don Knott's autobiography, "Barney Fife And Other
Characters I Have Known", you have the facts mostly right.   If you want to
know the real, unvarnished truth, you can buy the book I listed above on Amazon
for only $13.00.    And the book is worth 10 times that much.    I have read my
copy over and over until I have just about worn it out.   It would be the best
$13 you ever invested. Orville Hendricks - Mt. Pilot's Butter and Egg Man.  I
was going to call my autobiography "The Egg And I", but that title was already
taken.   I just received a message titled "A DREAMER AND HIS DREAM" about Jesse
Don Knotts, and I wondered if it was true or fiction.? It tells about him
growing up in a "very rough home in West Virginia":- he took a job as a chicken
plucker, and it seems he was ":always sick", sometimes it was physical but it
was often just "in his head".? In school he was the object of every bully, a
hypochondriac, and didn't look forward to tomorrow.? But he had dreams - he
wanted to be a ventriloquist, and earned enough money until he got a real
ventriloquist dummy.? Then he joined the military, where his talents were
recognized, and changed his world.? There is a picture of him sitting with a
ventriloquist's dummy on his knee.? The face is Don Knotts, but is the story
real??