first i will say that tags is my favorite alltime show and barney
definitely made the show because it was never the same after he left,and is one
 of
my favorites on the show.and to me all the characters on the show were born
to play these parts on tags,i dont think anybody else could have ever
played the  characters as well.and don knotts will allways be remembered for
that
role,as  for the other roles he played on threes company and the movies he
played in,i  didn't care for him in those.he was at his funniest when he
wasn't trying to be  funny.on tags he was playing it pretty straight.all the
other roles i thought he  was trying to hard to be funny and to me came across
kind of corny and silly.but  as barney fife he was pure gold and no one
could have done it better.when i  think of the manicurist episode when he says
he stayed home and caught 3 it  allways cracks me up.