I don't think Don Knotts had a lot of dramatic acting roles although he did
appear occasionally on various
TV series. If a person possessed the talent for comedy like our lovable Barney
Fife I suppose there would
be no need to expand to other areas of acting. But it's been praying on my mind
as I thought about other actors
 who filled both the comedy roles and the dramatic roles.
Bill Cosby in "I SPY"...Andy Griffith  in "MATLOCK"...Buddy Ebsen in "BARNABY
JONES"...Harry Morgan
in "DRAGNET"...Dick Van Dyke in "DIAGNOSIS MURDER"...Robert Young in "DR.
WELBY"...Carroll
O'conner in "HEAT OF THE NIGHT" and Tom Bosley as sheriff in "MURDER SHE
WROTE". All of these series
were well liked and watched...I wondered considering these comedians making the
switch from one role to the other,
 if Don Knotts had ever had a dramatic series of his own what kind of role it
would have been. I know it's
really difficult to imagine him in such a role, being the comic he was, but I
know he would have had the talent to do
it. Just wondering what it might have been like to see him in a serious role.

Aunt Bee of Orlando ..I saw the episode of Dennis the Menace your referring to
and in fact he was in three episodes.
I didn't even recognize him in the first one until I saw the credits...this
must have been a year before TAGS b/c
The show premiered in 1959. He was also in an episode of "Dobie Gillis" as a
very young Dobie..in 1959.

Vic Friskey