My first mother-in-law was very much a country gal and looked forward to
having 'salt fish' for breakfast.  The fish would come packed in large plastic
tubs and were - yup - packed in salt.  She said it was only available in months
with an 'r' in it (January, February, March, April, September, etc).  It was
fried with eggs and no matter how much you rinsed the fish, they were salty
enough to curl your toes!  I could take it only in small amounts and
occasionally, but she and her husband eagerly looked forward to this morning
meal.

Paul
A li'l bit o' Mayberry in Jane Lew, WV