Perry,
Well you've just answered another of my dopey questions. Alas, I'd already sent
it out before I read your response. Yeah, <br> IS a standalone tag. I know that
when I use it but hadn't pieced it together when I thought of it in a more
academic fashion. So, bold is replaced by <strong> in CssLand, huh?

I gotta suck it up and do some conversion to CSS...
S.