On Monday, December 17, 2012 2:50:09 PM UTC+1, Arnon Marcus wrote:

> Holy shit...
>
> Where did you say you got all that info from?

quoted the link and scanning the source code

> Is this what that module needs?
>
> I thought it's just a stand-alone pythonic-module doing everything...
> Guess I was a bit optimistic...
>
> little bit too much :P

> What about coffeeCup?

meaning coffeescript ?

> - is it just something like "edit the less file in static/less/file.less
> and have it recompiled as /static/css/file.css"
> Well, either that and/or sass/scss, as well as coffescript transpiling,
> with optional minification/zipping for the resaulting js/css, yeah,
> basically that.

I'm not that much advanced, but as long as there is a "list of extensions"
that follow the same rule, a contrib script continuosly checking for
changed files is not hard to do.

> But if there is ANY need for node.js in this kind of solution, than forget
> it.

I gave you the list of what webasset provide with python modules. I think
the author researched a lot and resorted to external binaries only when
needed

Is web2py minifying css/js scripts by default? If so, in what
> circumstances? And since what version?

nope. Web2py includes contrib.minify (containing jsmin and cssmin) that is
activated by response.optimize_css and response.optimize_js . It's a
feature I think since 1.99.7.

Gzipping is not done within web2py. Usually that is something done only
one-time-only before releasing to production and for that there is
scripts/zip_static_files.py (meant to be run from shell as web2py.py -S
yourapp -R scripts/zip_static_files.py). It creates automatically .gz files
with the same mtime in order to be recognized as valid replacement by
apache, nginx & co. Standalone web2py serves automatically gz files in the
static folder with the same mtime without any configuration at all (meaning
that a request for /app/static/js/jquery.js as long as there is a
/app/static/js/jquery.js.gz with the same mtime will serve the gzipped one
automatically)