The forum option has been discussed multiple times.  Let me (once
again) throw in my support for it.

pyForum:
- Provides working search-ability (sorry Groups still sucks hard in
this area)
- Allows one to still receive emails
- Fills a gap for those of us who want to keep up with the community
but don't want an email every 5 minutes.  (I'm on digest of the list
but a forum would better fit my level of interest/involvement)
- Having web2py use it would be dog-fooding and drive the development
of both

With the mailinglist, there is no good search option for those not
using their own email client for search.  Remember the Python 3
question?  There's a reason it pops up once every 2-3 weeks.  Because
Google Groups search will not find anything on list after a while and
so the question is asked again.  There's GMANE but most users don't
know to look there and the user interface is not the most friendly.

I vote pyForum.

-tim