There are more than two solutions in this thread, I challenge you to read
through and prove me wrong.
Perhaps that was wrong of me to conclude that a majority agrees that the red
X is distracting. Perhaps we should hold a poll. Being the designer, you
have a bias towards your work and that is both understandable and
respectable, you do great work.

I started the original thread not because there was a problem with
accidental deletion, it was because seeing a whole page full of red X's is
distracting for many, it just isn't appealing. Don't get me wrong, I do like
the new admin design, I just think we could do something different with the
X's.

Once again, I suggest we HIDE the X's until they are needed. Not because of
accidental deletion(not the point of the topic), but because of the fact
that the red X's are redundant and should only be shown when needed--in my
opinion. I think this should seriously be considered.

All being said, I will continue to use my trashcan icon until a respectable
change has been made.