On Oct 28, 2012, at 3:30 PM, Antti Koivisto <koivi...@iki.fi> wrote:

> We could clear the cache between tests but run each test twice in a row.
> Second run will then happen with deterministically pre-populated cache. That
> would both make things more predictable and improve our test coverage for
> cached cases. Unfortunately it would also slow down testing significantly,
> though less than 2x.

I actually really like this idea. Doing it this way would effectively run each
test both completely uncached, and fully cached, which would be better test
coverage than our current approach. Can we get an estimate on what this would
cost if applied to our whole test suite? Could we do it for just a subset of
the tests?

(BTW I think this is better than the "virtual test suite" approach suggested by
Dirk; running the test with all its resources cached from having loaded it
immediately before is more reliable and better test coverage than running it
later as part of some sequence that doesn't clear the cache.)

Does anyone strongly object to this approach? It seems way better to me than
other options discussed on this thread.

Regards,
Maciej