On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 1:30 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpra...@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps -- and this is a tangent to this thread -- we could also
>> investigate ways of writing tests that did render pngs but told NRWT
>> to ignore them (e.g., dumpAsTextAndIgnoredImage() or something), or
>> conveyed which parts of the image were important ...
>

> What's the point of that?

Oops. I think I deleted the part of my reply explaining that :).

What I meant to say is that the downside of text-only/programmatic
tests is that you don't actually get a rendered page to look at. The
downside of pixel tests is that you can get a rendered page that shows
you what's wrong, but the rendered page often contains a bunch of
"extraneous" things like explanatory text that can cause unnecessary
diffs. It might be nice if we had better ways to filter out the parts
that caused the unnecessary diffs.

-- Dirk