I'm guessing that or something very much like it is the problem.  But I don't
think I have the courage to try it at this point since it's currently running
with localhost.  Maybe in about a month, or if it stops working again I'll try
it with all WOHosts and setting all to domain names instead of localhost.

I wish there were a canonical, well documented way to set this stuff that
worked every time, so I'm going to take a first cut.

The list below I think represents some very common deployment "problem child"
entries, but I certainly at this time haven't found a magic answer that always
works for me for the things in red, with the biggest overall questions being:

Use localhost/don't use localhost
Use IP Addresses or domain names
Use WOHost properties/Don't use WOHost properties

Note that if you do use domain names, they must be reverse lookup'able, so that
the 'host ip' and 'host domain' commands match up

e.g.
$host netbrackets1.netbrackets.com
netbrackets1.netbrackets.com has address 208.52.168.238

$ host 208.52.168.238
238.168.52.208.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer netbrackets1.netbrackets.com.

With that said, here is my first attempt at the canonical list of deployment
problem children:

/Library/WebObjects/JavaApplications/wotaskd.woa/Contents/Resources/Properties:
   WOHost=[IP/Domain/localhost/don't use WOHost]

/Library/WebObjects/JavaApplications/JavaMonitor/Contents/Resources/Properties:
   WOHost=[IP/Domain/localhost/don't use WOHost]

JavaMonitor Site HTTP Adaptor URL:
   http://[IP/Domain/localhost]/cgi-bin/WebObjects
JavaMonitor Hosts Host name (Status says available so wotaskd daemon is
running):
   [IP/Domain/localhost]

/System/Library/WebObjects/Adaptors/Apache2.2/apache.conf:
   WebObjectsConfig [IP/Domain/localhost]:1085 10

httpd.conf "problem" entries:

ServerName [IP/Domain/localhost]:80

DocumentRoot "/Library/WebServer/Documents"
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
#    Order deny,allow
#    Deny from all
</Directory>

ScriptAliasMatch ^/cgi-bin/((?!(?i:webobjects)).*$)
"/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables/$1"

Include /System/Library/WebObjects/Adaptors/Apache2.2/apache.conf

apache.conf "problem" entries:

LoadModule WebObjects_module
/System/Library/WebObjects/Adaptors/Apache2.2/mod_WebObjects.so
WebObjectsDocumentRoot /Library/WebServer/Documents
WebObjectsAlias /cgi-bin/WebObjects
WebObjectsConfig [IP/Domain/localhost]:1085 10

Additional Arguments "magic" entry in Javamonitor: