On Mar 5, 2014, at 4:37 AM, Jürgen Simon <si...@webtecc.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> this is not a technical inquiry, more a temperature check on the business
> side of WebObjects. It is my impression that at least in Germany, after the
> 2008/2009 crisis the market for WebObjects-projects has really been down a
> lot. I have been looking hi and lo for opportunities to work with WO again,
> but apart from self-initiated projects there was nothing going on.
>
> Is this perception limited to Germany or is it even just me? Are there any
> project marketplaces for WO that I am not aware of? How much of a future
> would you guys think WO really has?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Jürgen

Having worked with WO for a while now, I think it’s safe for me to say WO has a
limited future.

For one, Apple did not open source it when they left it for dead in 2008/2009.
The “Apple only hardware” license restriction is pretty lame too. I seems they
did this hoping to kill it. It appears they are looking at other solutions
besides WO for their own usage. The last time I saw an @apple.com address break
radio silence, it was on the Cayenne list. It seems pretty tragic, but that’s
what it looks like from the outside.

Two, Anjo left Wonder. Mike was poached by Apple and has been MIA since.
Without Anjo to keep people in line, I’ve noticed the quality of contributions
have declined. Without Mike’s tireless contributions, I’ve noticed most commits
are not in the form of great useful new frameworks, but refactoring of old
frameworks. Refactoring combined with loose quality control has made Wonder
something that went from “I can’t wait to update my repo” to “I’m scared if I
update my repo, stuff is going to break… again.”

Third, the type of applications WO excels at are no longer in demand. If you
make an app that requires someone to poke in 42 text fields on their
smartphone, you are doing it wrong. But that’s exactly the sort of app that WO
is purpose built to handle. Dynamic URLs are universally hated by the marketing
department. "Why can’t we just have domain.com/page?? WO URLs are horrible for
SEO!!”  WO can give you a table of data sorted and nested inside another table
of data which is also sorted and nested as deep as you want to go.
Automatically. And it will keep track of all that, but then... who’s going to
read a table that big on a 5” screen? The design department wants minimal info
on the page, please. Just the facts ma’am. Those sort of desktop apps have
already been built. They’re now in maintenance mode. No one is going to rewrite
them in WO any sooner that someone is going to rewrite all the WO apps in
something else.

Fourth, the tooling is showing bit rot. Q is the only person left who really
has a handle on how WOLips works. My copy of rule modeler is buggy as hell and
crashes 50% of the time I try to launch or save something under Mavericks.
Installing WO for dev or deployment requires a PhD in WebObjects. Monitor
slowly becomes less and less responsive until you’re forced to reboot it. Even
when it works, it doesn’t really monitor everything I need to know. Memory,
cpu, disk space? Oh, go get Nagios and add to your administration nightmare.

Finally, there’s the learning cliff involved with WO. WO developers are as rare
as unicorns. Learning WO in depth takes months/years to do, even for an
experienced Java developer. In a lot of cases, the WO app that is out there
isn’t in prime condition and requires lots of maintenance. It was probably
built on an existing legacy database with a schema that goes against the WO
way. That results a sub-optimal development experience with WO. Especially for
the uninitiated. Nobody is going to learn it on the job and think “Wow, this is
so great! I love WebObjects!!"

This is not to say WO is bad. WO is great for what it does. If you have a mac,
you know WO already, you don’t mind the tools are a little creaky, you have
your own wonder fork, you are okay with writing whatever frameworks you need,
you are the dba, and it works for you.. knock yourself out. I don’t expect to
see a lot of new faces around though.