Sophie Gautier wrote:
> Just to point that we need to handle i18n and l10n easily also, this
> is important to think this multilanguage way till the beginning.

Then I'll have to ask again what you mean by this!

1) Having translatable pages (meaning: an English about page at
http://www.documentfoundation.org/about.html and its French translation
at http://www.documentfoundation.org/about.fr.html or equivalent)

2) Having localized websites, with independent structure but same login
(similar to how CollabNet is working now for OpenOffice.org)

3) Having both (not acceptable from my point of view, too confusing)

Work on a multilingual site cannot start before deciding on this.

Everybody who's been around for a few years in OpenOffice.org knows pros
and cons, but to summarize them:
- Option 1 makes it easier to monitor page changes, since you have the
"English version" and the "French version" of a page linked in the
system, and you can compare them easily.
- Option 2 gives N-L teams more flexibility, since they decide how to
structure their own site (from the diversity between N-L sites, I'd say
this is rather appreciated now). So if the French team wants an About
page, it will create it in their site structure; though, checking if it
is up-to-date with respect to  the English version must be done
manually.
- Option 3 to me is just problematic, since you don't know where to put
the French "About" page: in the global site as translation of the
English "About" or in the French site?

If I had to maintain the Italian section of the site, I would go for
Option 2: Italian pages would be the ones the Italian community feels
relevant for them, which can be different or in a different order than
the global (English?) ones.

Regards,
  Andrea.