Ralph/Bill

Good job you pinged me privately as I was not subscribed to this thread for
some reason.....anyway....

My MQTT fork has been running as a service along with OWFS driver for about
6 months with no big issues. Most of my problems are due to my One-wire
system hanging.

I have a separate piece of code polling a yoctopuce
<https://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/products/usb-electrical-sensors/yocto-millivolt-rx>USB

analogue to digital converter connected to my apogee SP-110
<https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/sp-110-ss-self-powered-pyranometer/>
pyranometer, this posts to mosquito.
My mqtt service pulls in this data from mosquito
The rest of my system is one-wire running as a driver

I have not dabbled with my MQTT code since I shoe stringed it together so
what I have is dirty and not really something I'd want to brag about, it
still needs work to be robust and kind to failures/exceptions.
The code is on github, the commit comment is "Messy but functional. No
exception catches"
https://github.com/nellyt/ESP8266-MQTT-WEEWX/commit/26127c5da24fd814b5871640e2c896a395fee0a0

This was I recall a fork of bonjour81's fork of Bill's.
I recall I was using this because of the way i structured my MQTT data

I think if you look at some of the standard include drivers/services from
Mwalll/Tom you will see that they support both driver or service. By
looking at a simple one of these you can understand how to convert your
code to a service....I think I based mine on the deltas between
service/driver in Mwalls OWFS plugin. There may well be more elegant coding
ways of achieving this now...i was running code from at least a year ago
when i did this.
Also relevant is a read of
http://www.weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm#service_engine
and http://www.weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm#Adding_2nd_source

I would suggest looking at what I did and then incorporating similar
changes in your code (Bill), certainly dont fork mine as I think you are
multiple bug fixes ahead of me!

I will keep track of thread but afraid I have little time available at
present. :(

Neil