Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I've had this station for about 3 years and this behaviour has been there
from day 1.

I think I've pretty much exhausted all possibilities actually. In the early
days I tried a powered USB hub - no joy.

I've now got this RPi in a stack with two others - fed with a bomb-proof 5V
supply. I've looked at the supply line with both a digital VM and a 'scope
for each RPi. Volts are dead on 5-and-a-bit after the polyfuse and ripple
is very low.

So, I guess it's down to "life's rich tapestry" and a quirk of this
particular station. In fact it's not too troublesome, booting a couple of
times a week is no big deal, esp. as I store the root filesystem for this
Rpi on my NFS, so it doesn't even stress the SD card too much ....

A final thought. I would tend to suspect the RPi as the culprit and not the
console as the problem goes away (for a while) after a reboot. I've
sometimes wondered if it's something to do with some weird interaction
between USB and Ethernet on the RPi as they share the same hardware and
both are pretty busy (however, it also happened before I migrated to an NFS
file system, so maybe not).

Cheers,