Eh? See https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Raspberry%20Pi. It's my
understanding (and experience) that the USB lockup problem is somehow a
feature of the Fine Offset console. I would be a bit surprised if using
FreeBSD instead of any of the commonly used Linux distros would make a
difference, nor do I think it would matter what' hardware is used; I'd
expect the same issue with different hosts, running WeeWX or not. But...
I've only used a Pi. I do run FreeBSD but not on Pi.

What is said to make a difference is a powered USB hub which will permit
resetting the FO but have yet to see this properly explained, and what code
if any is needed to automate this. I'm guessing the Observer is the
ObserverIP here: http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html. If so, no I
don't think it's readily possible as the Ambient system transmits on 915Mhz
and FO uses a lower frequency and, I'd wager, a different data format.