If you hover over the windspeed gauge you should see a graph with stats
above. That data comes straight from the output of weewx using
$day.windSpeed.max for the max average and $day.windGust.max for the max
gust. Both are 9mph.

If you want to see the raw data behind the dials you can load
weather.while.org.uk/gauge-data.txt - windTM is the max average windpseed
and windgustTM is the max gust using the subsitutions as above.

The stats page uses $day.wind.max for the max wind speed and $day.wind.avg
for the average.

Looking at the data there was a peak wind speed of 9mph at 02:19 assuming
that this was for the whole period then that interval average would be
9mph. Subsequent intervals would have lower averages as the peak was not
reached again. Averaging these
must give a number lower than 9mph as most of the values between around
06:00 and 16:00 were below 4mph.

Having said all this I am not sure that $day.windSpeed.max is actually what
I want - I think $day.wind.avg is better suited so I will use that.