a) What formatting is specified in skin.conf - for use by .formatted?

b) when you say "as recorded in the database" - are you referring to the
archive table or the archive_day_windspeed table?

c) what is your archive interval?

d) what is the result of the following sql commands:
select max(windSpeed) from archive where dataTime > xxxxxxxxx;     (for
today)
and
select max(windGust) from archive where dateTime > xxxxxxxxxx;    (for
today)
and
select max, maxtime from archive_day_wind where dateTime = xxxxxxxxxx;
 (for today)
and
select max, maxtime from archive_day_windGust where dateTime =
xxxxxxxxx;     (for today)