If you are referring to this text:

"The max average wind speed. The wind is averaged over each of the archive
intervals. Then these numbers are averaged. Note that this is *not* the
same as the maximum observed wind speed."

in the table under wind <http://weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm#Wind> in the
Customization Guide, then yes you are correct, it is not the average of an
average it is the max of the average. The error is in the description not
in the calculation.

Clearly from your wind graph windSpeed and windGust are different.So until
we see the template I suspect the issue will remain.

Gary