Hello,

I like the SQL access because it gives you the widest possibilities to get
any already recorded data, be it just now or any older ones.
I suppose that the problem you had is sqlite vs sqlite3. Weewx uses
sqlite3, so you should use sqlite3 to interrogate the dB.

So :   sqlite3 /var/lib/weewx/weewx.sdb    ( not sqlite /var/... )

I assume you are using some sort of linux OS.  You can check that weewx.sdb
is for sqlitte3 with the command  :
$ file /var/lib/weewx/weewx.sdb

In my case I get :

$ file PAS-weewx-20171203.sdb
PAS-weewx-20171203.sdb: SQLite 3.x database, last written using SQLite
version 3008010

I hope this helps you.

Happy New Year !     Paul