2 second update should not be too much for a RPi2, though of course it
depends on what other system load there is. If it were a problem I would
expect you would be seeing other symptoms (high CPU load, SteelSeries
gauges updates being missed/erratic, long execution times for reports)
rather than just memory usage ramping up.

Gary