On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 1:55:15 PM UTC-4, William Burton wrote:

> If the screen capture for your own site fails or if the site's skin has
> been changed, is there a way to get the registration process to retry the
> screen capture?
>
> Is there a way to test the screen capture outside of the registration
> process to see if it will work correctly?

hi bill,

i made a wiki page to explain the registry:

https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/registry

i'm still working on the capture process.  the previous implementation used
wkhtmltoimage, but that would periodically suck up every bit of memory and
swap, bringing the capture server to its knees.  using phantomjs has
alleviated that somewhat, but there are still some problems.  i'll try to
remember to write up what i learn once its sorted out.

there is no way to force an update of the capture.  it is a somewhat
stochastic process (intentionally, to avoid overloading the system).

once the capture process is more reliable we will be able to tune it.  who
knows, some kind of waybackmachine-like abilities might even be possible!