I am not sure why the Pi would restart as it is powered by a UPS so the
issue is somewhat of a mystery why it got confused. A second Pi, also
running Weewx, powered by the same UPS did not run into any problems. In
any event, I have ordered two RTC modules and will install them on the two
Pis when they arrive later this week and hopefully, the problem will never
come up again.

Thanks for your response.

Michael