Daniel Stenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> (Not related to this, but I thought I could through this in: One of
> the blue-sky dreams I have for a rainy day, is converting wget to
> use libcurl as transport layer for FTP(S)/HTTP(S)...)

Such a thing is not entirely out of the question.  I'm not exactly
satisfied with Wget's "backend" code and I've been thinking about ways
to redesign it for years now.  But designing an HTTP layer is damned
hard.  You have to handle the concepts of "connection" and "download",
as well as "reconnecting", persistent and non-persistent connections,
etc.  Then come the proxies, redirections, protocols based on HTTP
which are not exactly HTTP, and a legion of other nuisances.

Wget has traditionally been advertised as a "no dependency" program,
i.e. people have been reported to install it right after `gzip' and
`gcc'.  But if I found a library that handled all of the above issues
*graciously* (sorry folks, not libwww), I think I would prefer to use
it than implement all of those things myself.

I haven't looked at cURL before, but will do so.  Is the documentation
available online?  If you are willing to advertise its features, take
this as an invitation to do so.  :-)

(I'm now reading curl(1) man page and finding many cool things to
steal, interface-wise.)