On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Micah Cowan wrote:

> It's not really about this option, it's about a class of options. I'm in
> the unenviable position of having to determine whether small patches
> that add options are sufficiently useful to justify the addition of the
> option. Adding one new option/rc command is not a problem. But when,
> over time, fifty people suggest little patches that offer options with
> small benefits, we've suddenly got fifty new options cluttering up the
> documentation and --help output.

I would posit that the vast majority of wget options are used in some
extremely small percentage of wget invocations.  Should they be removed?
In my view, wget is a useful and flexible tool largely because there
are a lot of options.  The internet is a messy place, and wget can cope.

I have a handful of options I've added to wget which are mandatory for
my use.  Mostly dealing with timeouts and retries.  Useful features which
would not commonly be used.  Am I correct in reading in to this discussion
that submitting new features is not encouraged?