On 10/13/07, Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > On 10/13/07, Tony Godshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> OK, so let's go back to basics for a moment.
> >>
> >> wget's default behavior is to use all available bandwidth.
> >>
> >> Is this the right thing to do?
> >>
> >> Or is it better to back off a little after a bit?
>
> Heh. Well, some people are saying that Wget should support "accelerated
> downloads"; several connections to download a single resource, which can
> sometimes give a speed increase at the expense of nice-ness.
>
> So you could say we're at a happy medium between those options! :)
>
> Actually, Wget probably will get support for multiple simultaneous
> connections; but number of connections to one host will be limited to a
> max of two.
>
> It's impossible for Wget to know how much is appropriate to back off,
> and in most situations I can think of, backing off isn't appropriate.
>
> In general, though, I agree that Wget's policy should be "nice by default".

If it was me, I'd have it default to backing off to 95% by default and
have options for more aggressive behavior, like the multiple
connections, etc.

I'm surprised multiple connections would buy you anything, though.  I
guess I'll take a look through the archives and see what the argument
is.  Does one tcp connection back off on a lost packet and the other
one gets to keep going?  Hmmm.

> Josh Williams wrote:
> > That's one of the reasons I believe this
> > should be a module instead, because it's more or less a hack to patch
> > what the environment should be doing for wget, not vice versa.
>
> At this point, since it seems to have some demand, I'll probably put it
> in for 1.12.x; but I may very well move it to a module when we have
> support for that.

Thanks, yes that makes sense.

> Of course, Tony G indicated that he would prefer it to be
> conditionally-compiled, for concerns that the plugin architecture will
> add overhead to the wget binary. Wget is such a lightweight app, though,
> I'm not thinking that the plugin architecture is going to be very
> significant. It would be interesting to see if we can add support for
> some modules to be linked in directly, rather than dynamically; however,
> it'd still probably have to use the same mechanisms as the normal
> modules in order to work. Anyway, I'm sure we'll think about those
> things more when the time comes.

Makes sense.

> Or you could be proactive and start work on
> http://wget.addictivecode.org/FeatureSpecifications/Plugins
> (non-existent, but already linked to from FeatureSpecifications). :)

I'll look into that.

> On 10/14/07, Hrvoje Niksic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Tony Godshall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > OK, so let's go back to basics for a moment.
> > >
> > > wget's default behavior is to use all available bandwidth.
> >
> > And so is the default behavior of curl, Firefox, Opera, and so on.
> > The expected behavior of a program that receives data over a TCP
> > stream is to consume data as fast as it arrives.

What was your point exactly?  All the other kids do it?

Tony G