Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Steven Schweda has started some testing on Tru64, and uncovered some
>> interesting quirks; some of them look like flaws I've introduced,
>> and others are bugginess in the Tru64 environment itself. It's
>> proving very helpful. :)
>
> Is the exchange off-list or on a list I'm not following?  I'm somewhat
> interested in portability myself, so I'd like to follow it.

Sorry, yes, it was spawned in response to a private mail where I
indicated this would be a good time to get his VMS-compatibility fixes
in for 1.12.

He responded by pulling down the latest dev sources and letting them
break against his (somewhat VMS-like) Tru64 system :)

Lessee... I've applied his fix for the fact that sysdep.h #includes
<inttypes.h> and expects it to correctly #include <stdint.h> as well
(which, on Tru64, it strangely doesn't). This was easily fixed by adding
that in as well.

The build environment also (barely) fails to provide a C99-conformant
stdbool.h, failing in an obscure case. Gnulib's provided stdbool.h then
also fails, because it uses an enumeration to define true and false
(#undefining and the #defining them is an "obsolescent feature"
according to the standard); however, the Tru64 compilation environment
apparently doesn't like their use as other-than-keywords, even when the
system stdbool.h hasn't been #included. This has been reported to the
Autoconf folks (for suggested changes to the "is stdbool.h provided"
tests), and some of the thread is crossposted to the bug-gnulib, to
resolve the fact that the provided stdbool.h breaks.

The new maint.mk file, included by GNUmakefile, providing special
targets for sanity-checking by the maintainer, breaks on old versions of
gzip (while performing a feature test). Steven has reported this to
bug-gnulib as well; apparently a fix had already been applied for
coreutils, but not given back to the gnulib folks (they have diverging
maint.mk's).

There appears to be a build issue on systems that do not have
gettext/libintl installed. I'm investigating that on an OpenBSD install
right now; but was hung up on an issue with my autoconf install that was
exhibiting some bugs in  generating our configure script. I replaced the
from-source install with the OpenBSD ports package, which solved the
issue; perhaps later I'll investigate what has going on more closely,
but in the meantime, I'm trying to debug Wget, not Autoconf. :)

I think that sums up the problems discovered so far.
  - Provided stdbool.h breaks on compilers that want to treat true and
false as keywords
  - maint.mk breaks with old gzip versions
  - Old broken HP systems have inttypes.h that doesn't #include stdint.h
  - The current handling of lack-of-gettext looks like it may be broken

The first three are trivial fixes we already have (and one of which has
been applied at this time); the gettext thing is probably something
broken in my invocation of gettext configuration stuff in configure.ac.