On Jun 2, 2006, at 17:28, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

Quoting White Lynx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
So WHATWG doesn't really care about DTDs. (There are two people
involved with that though for validating.)

Are you referring to fantasai and me? I am not doing anything with DTDs. AFAIK, fantasai isn't working on DTDs, either, currently.

There have been forward-looking statements about DTD or XSD versions of the schema generated from the RELAX NG master. Considering the level of RELAX NG-specific features used in the schema, I'd expect Trang-generated DTDs and XSDs to be rather imprecise. Moreover, personally, I don't like the idea of generating DTDs, because it would encourage people to use doctypes and would give them a false sense of security (after validation against an imprecise DTD).

it is better to know in advance whether normative DTD is required
or not

It's not.

More precisely, (X)HTML5 will not have a normative schema of any kind. The English prose is normative. Furthermore, letting schemas affect the design of the language doesn't go down well with Hixie. (Yes, I tried after all. :-)

That said, considering my sunk cost in contributing to the RELAX NG schema, I'd appreciate it if the language did not gain features that are too crazy for RELAX NG + Schematron. :-)

You do need to know how to write it though...

Need to know how to write a normative DTD???

--
Henri Sivonen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]