On Feb 21, 2007, at 07:14, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

That's not a flaw in HTML, because it is essential to HTML that it separates content from presentation.

I think device independence and accessibility are worthwhile goals. Semantic markup and separation of content and style are not essential in themselves but just a means of pursuing the other goals.

My feeling is that many people can understand and work with that slightly abstract concept, but they need tools that make it easy.

People also need to believe that they benefit from thinking on a more abstract level.

If we can offer people 'semantic editors' that work in a 'natural' way, they won't have to fight.

Well, to the extent most people keep semantics implicit and only think about presentation explicitly, reconciling "natural" with asking them to think differently is a problem.

But I think before that education stands a chance of making a dent, there'll need to be good non-WYSIWYG authoring tools.

I agree. Do you have a plan on how you are going to convince developers to take the risk of incurring the cost of developing a new kind of tool which may not succeed with users?

Anyway, HTML5 needs to be realistic considering the immediate evolvability of existing tools.

P.S. This should not be considered a pro-<font> message. I think the <font> element should be dropped and the style='' attribute should be allowed on all elements.

--
Henri Sivonen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]