Some of us at Apple have discussed fullscreen APIs, and we think a user gesture requirement plus clear indication of what has happened is likely sufficient.

As to the API itself: we tentatively think a good API would be to make a specific *element* go full screen, rather than the whole Web page. Some use cases for fullscreen will indeed want to transition the whole page, for example, let's say a Web-based editor wants to provide a distraction-free fullscreen mode like WriteRoom. However, it seems like many common use cases will benefit most from taking only part of the page full-screen, for example video or games, where it's common for the original content to only be a small box in the page.

Now, content could just manually hide the parts of the page in response to an event. Or you could provide a special media type or pseudo-class to use CSS to hide the unwanted content. But taking an element rather than a page full-screen has two benefits:

1) It handles some very common use cases (including likely one of the *most* common, video) in a way that's much simpler for the content author. 2) The browser will have the option to animate the transition to fullscreen starting from the target element, in a clean way. If content has to make layout changes by hand to limit itself to the specific fullscreen target, then it's extremely difficult, perhaps impossible, for the browser to do a single smooth animated transition without any unwanted flickering or layout thrash.

We don't have a specific API proposal to make right now, but I'll try to get the people working on this to put forward a concrete proposal soon.

Regards,
Maciej