On Jan 28, 2010, at 3:38 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@iki.fi> wrote:
> I haven't seen a proposal, but it looks like code has landed:
> http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/50893
>
> Demo: http://jilion.com/sublime/video
> (option-click the full screen button in a fresh WebKit nigthly)
>
> Interesting, but I'd still like to see the proposal. This should definitely
> be something that works on more than just media elements.

The code referenced in that commit, and used by jilion.com, is NOT our proposal
for a generic fullscreen mechanism. Rather, it's a new, webkit-prefixed method
on the HTMLMediaElement which does the equivalent of the user clicking on the
fullscreen button in the built-in controls. This is highly desirable for page
that want to user their own custom controls, but would still like the user to
go fullscreen.

We have been discussing a more general fullscreen API that lets you take the
page fullscreen (perhaps with the ability to focus on a single element), as
Maciej mentions. We have not decided on a final form for this API, nor have we
resolved whether it's possible to do some nice transition between the two
modes. We have talked at some length about the security issues.

Input on what people would like from this API is welcome, as are ideas on how
the transitions should work.

Simon