On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:33:56 +0100, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> wrote:

On Feb 6, 2012 9:04 AM, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:
This assumes that the entire page is onscreen at once, which is a pretty
bad assumption for said scenarios.
I agree with Boris' points. Some high-end smart phones already have HDMI
outputs. Maybe people would start "docking" those devices to replace laptop computers in near future.

Actually I do this already with my tablet - the idea is so my elderly family
can see it on the TV and we can use it together, and so they can learn to
use it on their own.

Sure.  I'm not entirely sure how sympathetic I am to the need to produce
"reduced-functionality" pages... The examples I've encountered have mostly been in one of three buckets:

1) "Why isn't the desktop version just like this vastly better mobile
one?"
2) "The mobile version has a completely different workflow necessitating
a different url structure, not just different images and CSS"

This might be a valid use case for a device capability API since different devices may have completely different platform conventions for
UI and workflow such that using the same UI as the one served for desktop
computers isn't desirable.

Yep. TV for example. (I'm still sympathetic to Boris' point that most often
the developer does a terrible job of this, but that's why I can choose to
use someone else's services instead of trying to tell all developers they
can only make things the way I like them).

cheers

Chaals

    je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk