> It depends on what do you need. Spring gives you a lot of flexibility.
> The question is, how much flexibility you need? Spring is little
> difficult to grasp at first.

I don't think it's all that complicated to grasp the concepts but
every time I come around to looking into it I can never really justify
the need for it.  I actually bought a couple of Spring books a few
months back and covered quite a bit of them...

I guess I avoid it because it appears to force you into thinking in an
IoC way and I don't like the idea of configuring my classes w/ XML and
using interfaces for *everything* - sometimes that's just more complex
than the problem at hand.

I hear mostly good things about it but I suppose I'm just not well
educated enough on it to really criticize it...these are just my
initial impressions.

> But I'd certainly not label spring as overkill. You can use only the
> parts you need. In web application it really doesn't matter if you have
> one additional 1.5 megs jar or not.

Sure, I understand that as well...but it's yet another framework to
introduce into my application and I haven't seen the need yet.
Through all of my reading it has never felt like an intuitive, "hit
the ground running" framework that I could begin using
quickly...there's a bit of a learning curve there.  I meant overkill
as in I've found easy-enough ways to solve problems without Spring -
so far.