I've had experience with JBoss, Glassfish, BEA, and Resin.  I've
deployed Wicket to both JBoss-4.0.4.GA and the latest Glassfish.  All
should work with Wicket, though you may run into classloader issues
wrt commons-logging + log4j since Wicket 1.2.1 uses the latest version
of log4j and either the commons-logging or log4j team broke the
contract instead of deprecation.  Personally, I prefer BEA's stuff,
jrockit is an engineering marvel, their basic WLS is tight, and, well,
I used to work as a developer for them -- but they're not up to speed
with EJB3.  The first deliverable they'll have with EJB3 support isn't
due until December.

I'm a big fan of EJB3, so for our current project that's a deal
breaker.  Then, there's the cost:  BEA isn't free.

So, we're going with Glassfish.  I'm impressed with its console, which
is nearly as full featured as BEA's, packaging a mature approach to
resource configuration, monitoring, domain configuration, application
deployment, etc.  You can do most everything you'd like from the HTTP
client.  I haven't seen a free AS vendor ever put this much effort
into a console.  And when you deliver software, this is usually the
first thing a client notices outside of the quality of your
application.

My one gripe is the lack of support for clustering, but the projects
that have actually required session level clustering have been far and
few between.  For high traffic sites, distributed state caching can
result in decreased scalability, since groups of servers need to
communicate and maintain the data for all users within the cluster.
You can break down the set of servers into multiple clusters to avoid
replication over the entire farm, but here's where the complexity
starts to mount.  If you need failover support for a specific
function, there are other ways to engineer the behavior than session
cache distribution.  However, if you absolutely need of a distributed
cache, there are 3rd party libs to enable the behavior.  Beyond that,
there's simultaneous support of the EJB2 and EJB3 specs, decent JMS
(which JBoss just doesn't do well, especially wrt MDBs and HA), and it
deploys fast.  And it's worth noting that a large project like Liferay
(~60MB) deploys on Glassfish in about 30% of the time it takes to
deploy to JBoss.

So, my vote goes to Glassfish as for now.  I've only been working with
it for the past month, so there's no telling what kind of potholes
we'll run into, but the basic functionality we desire has been scoped
and the application server has run like a champ, with the exception of
a bug with the Struts jar and redeployment.  Coding and deploying a
webservice with JAX-WS took me only 30 minutes with no previous
experience with the API, which is an improvement over Axis.

If you do run into commons-logging issues, regardless of the AS, try
adding a commons-logging.properties file to WEB-INF/classes with the
line:

org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Julian Klappenbach
Architect / Development Lead