WO is free since about 1 year and may be about to become open source.
Try it and learn what some really talented people designed more than 10
years ago.

...and if you want to ask questions about technical details - ask the
people who know. WO has a very good on-line community.

/Anders

Frank Silbermann wrote:
> Igor has already mentioned one advantage of declaring and configuring
> components in code -- it is easy to make the presentation very dynamic.  For
> example, when displaying products from a catalog, the page constructor can
> vary the display-components used depending upon the type of product chosen by
> the user.  (You could have different types of panels for different types of
> products, any one of which is embedded into the same basic page object.)  But
> I have another consideration in mind.
>
> The advocates of Extreme Programming argue that it is naïve to think one can
> always design first and then implement.  They argue that it is more realistic
> to start coding a few use cases and refine the design along the way, as
> experience adds insight and as the user's requirements become clearer.  To
> refine the design of existing code they recommend _refactoring_ (see Martin
> Fowler's book on that topic).
>
> Suppose I've built a page and later decide, in view of the DRY (Don't Repeat
> Yourself) principle that a portion of my page should be refactored into a
> custom component.  With Wicket I can move some of the page's Java code into
> my new panel class, and move HTML snippets from the page's associated HTML to
> the panel's HTML file.  This process seems not too far removed from Fowler's
> "Extract Class" refactoring.  To me, the ability to easily refactor is one
> advantage of having the components added and configured in code.
>
> To do such a refactoring in Web Objects, I am guessing that one would have to
> work with the generated tag files (a mixture of HTML and component
> configuration tags), which I doubt is practical to do by hand.  So unless the
> tool implements this kind of refactoring directly (which I doubt), you would
> create the re-usable component _from_scratch_ using the display-painting tool
> again, throwing away components that were painted earlier.  I fear that this
> wasted effort may be a disincentive against presentation-layer refactoring --
> with the result that final designs won't be as tight as they could have been.
>  (On the other hand, if the Web Objects tool makes re-doing the work
> sufficiently easy, the waste of redoing work may be insignificant.)
>
> I can see that some applications might be easier to build with Web Objects,
> just as for building certain types of fat clients Visual Basic 6 is easier to
> use than Swing.  But for more sophisticated presentation logic, the Wicket
> approach will facilitate the use of design patterns, refactoring, and other
> modern OO techniques.

http://ojalgo.org/

Mathematics, Linear Algebra and Optimisation with Java