On 9/18/06, Ryan Sonnek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ok.  I'm done here....this is going nowhere, and I guarentee I'm not the
> only one out there that has run into this issue.  It's too bad that this has
> turned into a mud slinging contest.  The Rails team is obviously much more
> understanding of these issues and how to solve them.

Thing is though, is that usually you want images, _javascript_ files and
css and such to be cached, but just not when developing. The
exceptional cases are things like dynamic images and _javascript_. I
think a setting that would guarantee non-caching for development but
that relies on default behavior in production mode would be best.

What do you think?
Eelco

I work on an application that undergoes weekly production releases, so we've had to implement something very similar for both development and production modes.  There's just too high of risk if the user gets an out of date version of the _javascript_.

The question is, what is the cost of having these two modes seperate?  keeping everything uniform makes debugging and troubleshooting easier as well as having only one codebase to worry about.  Why not *always* have this behaviour?