chasemp created this task.
chasemp added a subscriber: chasemp.
chasemp added projects: RT-Migration, Bugzilla-Migration.
chasemp changed Security from none to none.

TASK DESCRIPTION
  There is a lot of under the covers metadata that has to be dealt with in
migration.  Ticket metadata is fairly well defined, as far as we get
authorship, assigne, cc's, and modified / creation times for searching and
sorting.

  Comment metadata is another matter.  When we first started down this road the
decision was made to not worry about comment metadata and so we end up with
something like this:

  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T378#4196

  A static identifier for the username from the system of origin, a timestamp,
and the migrated comment.

  There is a long road of compromises that has lead to this place but the
current state is:

  * Users create a new account from existing external sources (ldap and sul)
  * Metadata for history across tickets of all systems is then associated with
this user when they verify the email that they had in the historical system
  * Comments are not updated(1) (i.e. remain static for imported content)

  Erik raised the point to investigate this further, and so I have looked into
it and Mukunda and I have talked it over.  Part of the ongoing confusion and
untenable situation we find ourselves in is some people find one group of
compromises acceptable, and some do not, but we keep coming back around and
renegotiating the issue.  If we knew comment metadata was a full stop for the
project I think we may have gone another route for accounts, although I'm
honestly not sure as all methods have their big downfalls.  It turns out
merging history from accounts in completely unrelated and distinct systems
isn't super easy.

  The best compromise I think we can make without going back to the drawing
board (and after confirming with Mukunda):

  * Users still create a new account from existing sources
  * metadata for tickets is still migrated (cc, author, owner) in post
processing once we know who this person is in relation to the data we have from
imported systems
  * Comments, through fudgery of the highest order, are created natively for
people who _already have accounts in phabricator at that time_ but are still
the static thing seen above for users who do not exist.  The people who do not
have accounts at the time of migration, will not ever get their comments from
the old system handled, however their creation metadata would be correct.
Essentially, only the author would be 'hardcoded'.

  I think we have to solidify this before more migration work can happen,
because it's a big change gears to get better comment handling beyond this.
Hopefully @mmodell agrees?

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T572

REPLY HANDLER ACTIONS
  Reply to comment or attach files, or !close, !claim, !unsubscribe or !assign
<username>.

To: chasemp
Cc: wikibugs-l, chasemp, jeremyb, Qgil, Aklapper