Gregor says>
Or are you proposing to simply use the existing
template programming
with the only the difference that wikidata is the
only mediawiki where
the properties can be accessed within templates?
Much of my argument
assumes that you are looking for a non-template
based infobox
renderer, I may be wrong there.

I am proposing that, from
the perspective of the Tiger article author, I would log on to wikidata
and create a page called Infobox:Tiger using a Semantic Form named
"Taxobox" whose fields track to the args for the Taxobox template. On
the form, one would select whether a genus, familia, ordo, ... regnum is
represented by the page... assume "genus" was selected,
so.....
{{Taxobox
| status = EN (DUBLIN CORE PROPERTY: LANGUAGE)

fossil_range = Early [[Pleistocene]] - Recent (DUBLIN CORE: COVERAGE)

status_system = iucn3.1 (DUBLIN CORE: FORMAT)
| trend = down (DUBLIN
CORE: FORMAT)
| status_ref =<ref name=IUCN/> (DUBLIN CORE: IDENTIFIER)

image = Tiger in Ranthambhore.jpg (EMBEDDED {{IMAGE}} TEMPLATE CALL)

image_caption = A [[Bengal tiger]] (''P. tigris tigris'') in India's
[[Ranthambhore National Park]]. (PART OF {{IMAGE}} TEMPLATE CALL)

image_width = (PART OF {{IMAGE}} TEMPLATE CALL)
| regnum = [[Animal]]ia
(UNNECESSARY - LOOK IT UP VIA #ASK)
| phylum = [[Chordate|Chordata]]
(UNNECESSARY - LOOK IT UP VIA #ASK))
| classis = [[Mammal]]ia
(UNNECESSARY - LOOK IT UP VIA #ASK))
| ordo = [[Carnivora]] (UNNECESSARY
- LOOK IT UP VIA #ASK))
| familia = [[Felidae]] (UNNECESSARY - LOOK IT
UP VIA #ASK))
| genus = ''[[Panthera]]'' (DUBLIN CORE PROPERTY:
RELATION)
| species = '''''P. tigris''''' (DUBLIN CORE PROPERTY:
TITLE)
| binomial = ''Panthera tigris'' (EMBEDDED {{BINOMIAL}} TEMPLATE
CALL)
| binomial_authority = ([[Carl Linnaeus|Linnaeus]], 1758) (PART OF
EMBEDDED {{BINOMIAL}} TEMPLATE CALL)
| synonyms = (DUBLIN CORE PROPERTY:
TITLE)
<center>'''''Felis tigris''''' <small>[[Carl
Linnaeus|Linnaeus]], 1758</small><ref name="Linn1758" /> <br
/>
'''''Tigris striatus''''' <small>[[Nikolai Severtzov|Severtzov]],
1858</small><br />
'''''Tigris regalis''''' <small>[[John Edward
Gray|Gray]], 1867</center>
| range_map = Tiger_map.jpg (EMBEDDED
{{IMAGE}} TEMPLATE CALL)
| range_map_width = (PART OF EMBEDDED {{IMAGE}}
TEMPLATE CALL)
| range_map_caption = Tiger's historic range in ca. 1850
(pale yellow) and range in 2006 (in green).<ref name="dinerstein07" />

subdivision_ranks = [[Subspecies]]
| subdivision = (UNNECESSARY - LOOK
IT UP VIA #ASK)
''[[Bengal tiger|P. t. tigris]]''<br/>
''[[Indochinese
tiger|P. t. corbetti]]''<br />
''[[Malayan tiger|P. t. jacksoni]]''<br
/>
''[[Sumatran tiger|P. t. sumatrae]]''<br />
''[[Siberian tiger|P. t.
altaica]]''<br />
''[[South China tiger|P. t. amoyensis]]''<br
/>
†''[[Caspian tiger|P. t. virgata]]''<br />
†''[[Bali tiger|P. t.
balica]]''<br />
†''[[Javan tiger|P. t. sondaica]]''
}}

One could
create [[en:Infobox:Tiger]] and [[de:Infobox:Tiger]] to handle language
differences. Alternatively there'd be only [[Infobox:Tiger]] that has
language-qualified string properties, e.g, Title^en contains english
title for the page vs Title^de that contains the German title, with the
#ask pulling the correct one given the wiki's language eg
|?Title^{{CONTENTLANG}}

For links, use the same magic word eg

|genus={{CONTENTLANG}}:Panthera

To be a bit fancier:

|genus={{#ifexist:{{CONTENTLANG}}:Panthera|{{CONTENTLANG}}:Panthera|en:Panthera}}

Now, the above is a traditional non-topicmap treatment without
provenance. Let's add provenance first:

|genus={{Dublin
Core|value=Panthera|creator={{USERNAME}}|date={{TODAY}}|language=}}

Now lets add the topicmap orientation

|genus={{Topic|name=Panthera|creator={{USERNAME}}|date={{TODAY}}|language=}}

So there's certainly alternatives to look at. The basic theme though
is NOT to create a specialized "factbox editor" but rather is to use
Semantic Forms to capture the values of template args - values that can
be links, text, or template calls. And you're right, Gregor, the primary
way to access wikidata's triples for purposes of regular template
programming is to logon to wikidata. imho, that establishes wikidata as
a black-box, with no additional mechanisms/extensions loaded onto any
'transcluding' wikipedia, which I think is the ideal posture for
integrating wikidata resources into the wikipedias.

re: the
whitepaper. Sure I'd be happy to put together a real "demo". But as a
strugglin' contractor doing opensource dev since 1998, it'd be nice
if.....

Gotta run - john

On 14.06.2012 09:29, Gregor Hagedorn
wrote:

 Gregor, I'm a bit confused -- are you talking about the
transclusion design approach in this statement?

 Yes, in the sense that
it demands to be the only access to wiki data
 content in a Wikipedia.

because, if so, I'd think there'd be a number of infobox "styles" that
can be selected by an author on the wikidata platform when 'building'
the infobox page. The author can transclude any number/any specific
infobox(es) on their wikipedia page, eg {{wikidata:en:Infobox:Some
topic/some custom imfobox}}

 As I say, I look forward to see an infobox
builder being developed,
 but this is a serious challenge.

 See, e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger and take a look at the
 hierarchical
arrangement of properties, formatting of them, linking of
 them
(Headings link to concept explanations on the same-language
 Wikipedia,
with the link being different than the display text, "Early
 Pleistocene
- Recent" may be a time range, but the value is "Early
 Pleistocene" and
the link is "Pleistocene"; similarly each taxonomic
 author - here only
ony present, Linnaeus - should link on en.wikipedia
 to en.wikipedia and
de.wikipedia to de.wikipedia), expressing some
 information with
graphics, see Endangered (IUCN 3.1)[1], properties or
 property values
containing footnotes, the fact that a subspecies is
 extinct being
abbreviated with a symbol (†P. t. virgata) etc. Note
 that the latter
case is actually a nesting: it is a list of
 subspecies, with each
subspecies having multiple properties like
 Scientific Name, Wikipedia
Page name, extinction status - I am not
 sure Wikidata plans to model
such data in Phase 2 already.

 My bottomline: Keep the wikidata project
manageable and doable with
 the available resources. Offer a method for
Wikipedians to pick up
 Wikidata content within the existing template
infrastrukture.

 But, desirable: ask a white paper which additional
work would be
 required to create centralized, plain vanilla infobox
rendering as
 well.

 Would you be willing to create such a whitepaper?
How much of the
 above-shown Tiger example can be created centrally with
a limited set
 of facilities? How feature rich must the customization
become?

 Or are you proposing to simply use the existing template
programming
 with the only the difference that wikidata is the only
mediawiki where
 the properties can be accessed within templates? Much
of my argument
 assumes that you are looking for a non-template based
infobox
 renderer, I may be wrong there.

 Gregor