Daniel - this distinction between facts vs claims -- is happy
bullshit merely meant to calm the masses. A claim is a fact and a fact
is a claim. It is the existence of PROVENANCE data in the Wikidata data
model that distinguishes the two tools. Provenance data is at the heart
of the web-of-trust, the top rung of the Internet architecture
promulgated by the W3. So, if your view is that SMW is not for
provenance data, while Wikidata is for provenance data, then how can I
NOT conclude SMW is down-version? Why would I not TOSS SMW for Wikidata
since they BOTH handle structured data? BOTH share a property:
namespace? BOTH share code modules? BOTH have data-input (cf Semantic
Form Inputs)? BOTH have formatted output (cf Semantic Result Formats).

:(this is what I was trying to communicate to Lydia in another note)

Provenance data certainly is important! It should be built in to an
environment that rationalizes & integrates SMW, Dublin Core, and Topic
Maps. See the [[meta:Wikitopics]] proposal for my first cut.

You make
an interesting statement, "SMW one day could utilize _OUR NEW METHOD_ of
storing structured data directly, without wikitext, but using it's own,
simpler data model."
-- friend, this is messianic at best if not
confirmation of my dark concerns

John

On 13.06.2012 09:31, Daniel
Kinzler wrote:

> On 13.06.2012 18:04, Lydia Pintscher wrote:
>
>> Ok
then let me define it more clearly. Wikidata's clear goal is to serve
the Wikipedias. Use in other contexts will also be possible and
encouraged but Wikipedia is the main target. It is for a project that
values references for all the structured data and it is supposed to
serve a multi-language audience. SMW is well established and used in
professional and non-professional projects outside of Wikipedia. It
usually serves smaller wikis and has quite some use in companies for
their internal knowledge management. Obviously there is overlap but in
the end the projects are distinct enough to co-exist just fine. Markus
wrote a long email about this here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/semediawiki-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03369.html
[1]

> I'd like to expand on that a bit. Basically, the main
difference to me is:

> * SMW is for managing primary data, i.e.
*facts*: "server X is located in room 123"

> * Wikidata is for
managing *claims* as we find them on Wikipedia: "according to
> report X
published in 2005, the population of China in 2004 was 12345678, +/-

1000, including Taiwan"

> So, Wikidata's data model is much more
complex, and aimed at the type of
> information we typically see on
Wikipedia. This allows is to provide extremely
> fine grained provenance
data, but makes reasoning and querying a lot harder. It
> also means
that mapping it to RDF is complex and awkward, not nearly as straight

forward as it is with SMW.

> So, if you are working with factual data
and want to do complex queries, use
> SMW. If you have data which
requires deep provenance information and are content
> with simple
queries, use Wikidata (resp Wikibase).

> However, we are working to
make SMW and Wikibase (the Wikidata software)
> compatible where it
makes sense: we want to share code for unit conversion,
> result
formatting, etc. And I could imagine (but that's just a vague idea)
that
> SMW one day could utilize our new method of storing structured
data directly,
> without wikitext, but using it's own, simpler data
model.

> Anyway, keep in mind that Wikidata is build by the same
people who initiated
> SMW! They are very well aware of the similarities
and the differences. And we
> believe that the target audience for SMW
and Wikidata *is* quite different.

> -- daniel
>
> --
> Daniel
Kinzler, Softwarearchitekt

> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Eisenacher
Straße 2 | 10777 Berlin
> http://wikimedia.de | Tel. (030) 219 158 260
>

> Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens
e.V.
> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
> für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Links: