sorry daniel for saying that, lydia is right on.

collegially yours
- john

2012 at 7:41 PM, <jmccl...@hypergrove.com> wrote:

>> Daniel - this
distinction between facts vs claims -- is happy bullshit merely meant to
calm the masses. A claim is a fact and a fact is a claim. It

> It is
not happy bullshit.

>> is the existence of PROVENANCE data in the
Wikidata data model that distinguishes the two tools. Provenance data is
at the heart of the web-of-trust, the top rung of the Internet
architecture promulgated by the W3. So, if your view is that SMW is not
for provenance data, while Wikidata is for provenance data, then how can
I not conclude SMW is down-version? Why would I not toss SMW for
Wikidata since they BOTH handle structured data?

> I am not sure what
you want to hear really. You seem to have made up
> your mind. If you
need provenance data for a specific use-case and SMW
> doesn't give that
to you then it might indeed not be a good fit for
> that particular
use-case. That doesn't make SMW useless in any way
> however ;-)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Notes/ContentHandler by the way.
And if I remember correctly some of the SMW devs even said that this
would be useful to have for SMW. It isn't something we're imposing on
anyone but that can be very useful once done. It's one of the ways were
SMW can benefit from groundwork done for Wikidata. More will probably
come up. Cheers Lydia -- Lydia Pintscher -
http://about.me/lydia.pintscher [1] Community Communications for
Wikidata Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. Obentrautstr. 72 10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de [2] Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung
Freien Wissens e. V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer

Links:
------
[1] http://about.me/lydia.pintscher
[2]