On 28/05/14 10:37, Daniel Kinzler wrote:
Key differences between Properties and Items:

* Properties have a data type, items don't.
* Items have sitelinks, Properties don't.
* Items have Statements, Properties will support Claims (without sources).

The software needs these constraints/guarantees to be able to take shortcuts,
provide specialized UI and API functionality, etc.

Yes, it would be possible to use items as properties instead of having a
separate entity type. But they are structurally and functionally different, so
it makes sense to have a strict separate. This makes a lot of things easier,
e.g.:

* setting different permissions for properties
* mapping to rdf vocabularies

This one point requires a tiny remark: there is no problem in OWL or RDF to use the same URI as a property, an individual, and a class in different contexts. The only thing that OWL (DL) forbids is to use one property for literal values (like string) and for object values (like other items), but this would not occur in our case anyway since we have clearly defined types. I completely agree with all the rest :-)

Cheers,

Markus

More fundamentally, they are semantically different: an item describes a concept
in "the real world", while a property is a structural component used for such a
description.

Yes, properies are simmilar to data items, and in some cases, there may be an
item representing the same concept that is represented by a property entity. I
don't see why that is a problem, while I can see a lot of confusion arising from
mixing them.

-- daniel