> Yes. I could see a simple "Statements" vs. "External identifiers"
> distinction being useful that's also reflected in the data model so
> it's easier to treat these property groups in a distinct manner.

I support grouping statements about external identifiers together and
distinguishing them from other statements, but I would voice caution about
presenting that distinction as "Statements vs. External identifiers".

I agree with Denny that qualifiers and references should be retained for
external identifiers.  I would further suggest that external identifiers
remain structured as properties that can (along with their values in
claims) be created, updated and deleted by the community.

Given that, I think the distinction should be styled less as "Statements
vs. External identifiers" and more as "External identifiers as a kind of
statement".  UI editing controls and data modeling as statements would
remain, but "External identifiers" (e.g. *VIAF identifier* 113230702) would
be moved to the bottom or side of statements of subject knowledge (e.g. *cause
of death* heart attack).

Grouping together and separating external identifiers from other kinds of
statements in the UI, and reflecting that in the data model and API, sounds
like a great idea.  https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q42 is a rat's nest of
meaningless (but technically useful) statements about external identifiers
and meaningful statements about the subject.  It's important to fix that,
and I imagine we could do so while retaining all the current UI controls
and data model attributes of statements in statements about external
identifiers.

Best,
Eric

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Emw