Hi!

> You mean the MediaWiki message processing code? This would probably be

Yes, exactly.

> powerful enough for units as well, but it works based on message strings
> that look a bit like MW template calls. Someone has to enter such
> strings for all units (and languages). This would be doable but the
> added power comes at the price of more difficult editing of such message
> strings instead of plain labels.

True. OTOH, we already have non-plain strings in the database - e.g.
math formulae - so that would be another example of such strings. It's
not ideal but would be a start, and maybe we can have some gadgets later
to deal with it :)

>> Oh yes :) Russian is one, but I'm sure there are others.
>>

> Forgive my ignorance; I was not able to read the example you gave there.

Sorry, it's hard to give examples in foreign languages that would be
comprehensible :) The gist of it is that Russian, as many other
inflected languages, changes nouns by grammatical case, and uses
different cases for different number of items (i.e. 1, 2,  and 5 will
use three different cases). Labels are of course in singular nominative
case, which is wrong for many numbers.
--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@wikimedia.org