Nellie,

I absolutely agree with being informed of changes. I often refer to
the theory of "progressive inquiry" (
http://www.helsinki.fi/science/networkedlearning/eng/delete.html
) when I discuss the importance on online feedback and messaging (like
being emailed when something changes on the wiki).  You can always
suggest to your students to be checking their "my watchlist" once they
log into WikiEd...

Cheers,