On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 14:22, Leigh Blackall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The next thing I noticed was the browser. At first glance it looks a little
> like Google's Chrome, but less than 3 clicks around you soon realise that
> its not of course. I couldn't for the life of me work out how to get new
> browser tabs happening, and I suspect that tabbed browsing is not possible!

Although since it *is* Linux, you can install Firefox or Opera if you must.

I use the bookmark tray on mine as an alternative to tabs... but it
admittedly is not as fast.

> I couldn't work out how to save and recover files from a USB. Admittedly I
> was by now very short on time and didn't look long or hard for it, but I was
> continuously thrown off by new icons I hadn't seen before, trying to work
> out what signified what and where, and how long a thing took to initiate,
> how to quit a thing, or how to swap windows. As with most things that
> require patience, I had to walk away from this one and get the classroom
> ready for a workshop I was now dreading.

I presume you have noticed by now that the added devices (including
memory cards inserted in the slot in the XO) appear in the tray at the
bottom of the Journal activity.  You can copy things by drag-and-drop
from the Journal's list display onto the icon for the device.

> Soon we had somewhere near 20 people in the room for day 1. The nice little
> charm of the OLPCs turning on started filling the room.. great, everyone
> found the on button. The IT lady was running around connecting everyone to
> the wireless network, but each computer was taking a dreadfully long time to
> connect, often hanging once the access key was entered, or just dropping the
> connection soon after it found it.

If you haven't updated the software on your XO, I highly recommend it.
 The networking is considerably more robust now than it was on initial
release about a year ago.

> I needed a projector to demonstrate
> things in the workshop, but couldn't plug an OLPC into the projector. The
> only other device on hand was a standard 17 inch laptop with Windows Vista
> on it :(

Actually... one of the coolest things about the XO Browse activity
(and most other activities for that matter) is how you can "share" the
experience with other users in your "neighborhood."

> To be honest, I would sooner hand out $400 Asus Eees, just because they
> don't need an instruction manual like the OLPCs do. EeePCs run on a
> distribution of Linux too, but what the developers of their operating system
> got right was that they understood how much they could rely on user
> intuition, in fact i would say that this was a primary element in their
> design brief.

The OLPC project and Sugar developers seem to have some documentation
that the interface appears intuitive for their target demographic.
But user interfaces tend to be a matter of choice.  I doubt you'd
recognize my choice of Window manager on my desktop as "Linux" either.
 :-)

I've played a bit with the EeePC, and prefer the OLPC hardware...
especially since the screen is so much better (especially in its
reflective mode).

I think some of your complaints can be summed up as "this user
interface doesn't match my intuition and I was trying to explore and
learn it on a very short deadline."