Are there studies on what populations prefer one way or another? I
suspect it depends on personal technology history and general
programming experience. In my very limited experience, most
programmers prefer wiki code and most people without other programming
experience prefer WYSIWYG. I also suspect it depends on whether people
like keyboard shortcuts in general, or use menus with their mice.
People who like to click on icons are probably less likely to prefer
typing code to make something bold or italic.

How do you experienced wiki teachers help someone already knowing
WYSIWYG text editors and wanting to learn wiki code?

My first instinct is to teach wiki code as "programming behind
WYSIWYG" first - that's how you program bold, that's how you program
titles, and then - that's how you do cool new things only wiki code
lets you do, such as inclusions.

--
Cheers,
MariaD

Make math your own, to make your own math.

http://www.naturalmath.com social math site
http://groups.google.com/group/naturalmath math authoring for kids email group
http://www.phenixsolutions.com empowering our innovations