Dear Wayne

While the argument to reduce govt. waste through collaborating to
produce free OERs is appealing, it rests on certain assumptions.  The
author does hints at these,but not enough. For example:
1. While hard sciences curriculum can be 'standardised' and 'applied'
globally/nationally. what about other disciplines that are not based
on universal laws or general principles?
2. That the user can change open content. Even when content was
closed, did it ever stop people from changing or adapting it? Teachers
used to cut and paste from various textbooks and workbooks, and make
up a package for their students and appropriate for their context. We
might have been doing it illegally in the 80s, by photocopying for
example, but we never had to wait for somebody to "make needed
revisions".
3. The political economy of "sharing" is not a given. Who should share
with who, at which level, at what depth, and who is guiding/"leading"
the developing of a standardised curriculum? Which kinds of curriculum
and pedagogies are being valued?
4. The production and distribution cost-benefit argument seems to be
very dominant in this discourse. What is less talked about is the
quality assurance of curriculum development. Just because it is free
does not mean it is of high-quality does it?
I guess this is harder to write about in an op-ed piece for a
newspaper.
5. Finally, it assumes that open curriculum content alone is enough,
and makes no mention of pedagogy. This is worrying in the whole OER
movement.

With WIkiEducator, for example, lots of educators are being asked to
collaborate to produce OERs. After a certain point, when the curricula
are polished and good enough for use as the 'norm', someone is going
to start charging to recoup the costs of having taken all the time and
effort to create the buzz, raise the funds, and produce them.

If life and education are really for free, who is going to pay the
teachers? And why would parents pay for their kids to go to school?

The answer is not as simple as the author claims.

Regards
Gurmit