Perhaps I'm the only one who finds this a little concerning in my part, but
lately I've been feeling that too many users are trying to watch too much of
Wikipedia at one time.
Let me elaborate a little. It isn't uncommon for the normally active user to
have hundreds, if not thousands, of pages on their watchlist. Then, when
somebody makes an edit that a certain user doesn't agree with, it gets changed
or outright reverted. It's like, at the least, a form of a bunch of "Big
Brothers" looking over an article and, at the worst, an outright form of page
ownership.
I've been on the low end on watchlisting pages myself, but a couple of months
ago I decided to "unload" my watchlist, removing most articles that I have
extensively worked on since I came onboard -- going from about 50 pages watched
to about fewer than 10 pages watched, only keeping those I'm monitoring in the
short-term.
Personally, I found unloading my watchlist liberating, and I would hope that
more would do the same. There's always that steady stream of vandal-fighters to
stomp out any clear vandalism that pops up. It's hard to explain, but I think
it's a good exercise in assuming good faith that others will make constructive
edits in efforts to improve pages.
-MuZemike
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[email protected]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l