On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Mike Pruden <mikepru...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I'm the only one who finds this a little concerning in my part, but
> lately I've been feeling that too many users are trying to watch too much of
> Wikipedia at one time.
>
> Let me elaborate a little. It isn't uncommon for the normally active user
> to have hundreds, if not thousands, of pages on their watchlist. Then, when
> somebody makes an edit that a

People still use watchlists? Mine quickly exploded out of control (I was
briefly in the habit of reading the article of the day each day and making a
couple of edits). Instead, I use:
1) The 'related changes' view of a list of stubs that I've written.
2) "My contributions".

It's imperfect, but it sort of captures what I'm interested in: changes made
to any article I've created (I like watching the little things grow, flower,
die) , and changes made to any changes I've made recently (to see how other
people react etc). I've requested a single view that captures all this, a
couple of times.

The depressing thing about the first one is seeing just how much time and
effort is expended on apparently trivial stuff: stub sorting,
recategorising, interwikis, very minor style stuff. Probably 2/3 of the
edits to my stubs don't affect the actual content of the article at all.

I agree with the central point though: it's very easy to get into the habit
of pouncing on any change. And inefficient, too. It would barely take more
time for me to assess and react to a month's (or six month's!) worth of
changes, than a day's worth.

Steve