On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Al Tally <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's now been a week since I got back. I enjoyed the actual conference, and
> meeting everyone in person.

Hi. After Wikimania, we (Nina, Jakob, Kurt and me) went to Cairo for a
few days. Some of us have since then gone east to Israel (Eilat, Tel
Aviv and now Jerusalem). While my health condition had been slowly and
unsteadily deteriorating since the second day of Wikimania, it took
until yesterday when I got fever (39.5°C / 103°F) and other issues. I
am under medication now, hopefully my status goes back to functional
before we leave back to Germany.

This has been my third Wikimania (after Frankfurt and Taipei) and I
have a mixed bag of memories from Alexandria. The conference place was
ideal for a conference about knowledge and it was a good decision to
go to Egypt for reasons of geographic diversity and political
statementary.

Our flight from Frankfurt landed in Alexandria Borg el Arab at 2 a.m.
and we (roughtly 10 Wikimedians) were picked up by the organisers.
Since this airport is rather small, it was impossible to miss each
other. Our group of four asked to be in one room, which was confirmed
before Wikimania. At the dorms itself, we were told to sleep in
seperate rooms (seperated by sex) at least for one night.

I experienced the wikimania conference itself to be rather crowded and
over-busy. With 20 minutes of a standard presentation, the effective
time was usually a little bit less. When I went to the stage for my 20
minutes presentation, it took the - otherwise friendly - staff almost
5 minutes to set up the presentation computer.

The Wifi-situation was a little bit annoying. After I figured out to
manually set up an IP address and gateway and dns, I was able to
access the net with reasonable speed.

I missed any place to simply gather around with other Wikimedians.
This has already been described and people who claim that Wikimania
should happen in a place which offers both conference rooms and dorms
in the same location are completely right, imho. It could also help to
keep all the rooms open until midnight or something like that.

Mathias